Monday, February 25, 2008

The Condiment Kid



This weekend we discovered something new about our son: he loves marinated artichoke hearts! This from the boy who won't go near a sweet potato. I think he's a condiment kid. He also loves olives. Black, green, he's not picky. Actually, sounds like he's more into cocktail garnishes. According to Wikipedia: "A condiment is a prepared edible substance or mixture, often preserved or fermented, that is added in variable quantities, most often at the table, to make food more suitable to the diner's taste." When I was pregnant with Milo I became obsessed with (fresh) cracked black pepper. I wanted it on everything—including watermelon. For some reason the harsh pepper mixed with the sweetness of watermelon (and during summer you could find some amazingly sweet watermelon!) made me so happy. I'm still crazy for pepper. I actually Googled "pepper" and "watermelon" and came up with a recipe for black pepper shrimp, watermelon and lime salad. Plus, watermelon ceramic salt and pepper shakers on Craig's List in Austin. Go figure. Other foods Milo loves: grapes, apples, raisins (though you pay later,) and anything Anna is eating. And don't think we're raising a pure fruit lover. This kid can put away goldfish and animal crackers like nobody's business. Maybe I need to start cutting the sweet potato into animal shapes?

No comments: